The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Gametronik.com now abandonware site
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Gametronik.com now abandonware site

Posted at 11:55 on December 19th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Gametronik.com used to be an emulation site, but now they've dropped all commercial emulation (only PD stuff now) and have moved to abandonware. They appear to only have PC progs/games, nothing for other computers (although it's hard to tell, since I don't read french). Anyone that's looking for a new abandonware site might want to check them out (but keep babelfish handy).

I don't mind them dropping their rom downloads, but I hate the fact that they also removed all the screenshots and such for all the commercial games they had. :(
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 17:00 on December 19th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Hmm... where do you get that information from? I looked at the site, and their newsentry says they're no longer restricting themselves to 'emulation', but that they'll include 'Abandonware' as well from now on. With just a few clicks, I found a download of Mortal Kombat (with screenshot as well) for Mega Drive - that's hardly PD, is it?

In any case, as I've been preaching for approximately 42 years now - the whole 'distinction' between 'emulation' and 'abandonware' is a nonsensical one anyway. Where's the line? If I'm going online with my Amiga, download a few games and play them, how is that emulation? If I download a game for MS-DOS and play it in Dosbox, how is that not emulation? As I've recently written elsewhere: Emulation is a technical process, Abandonware is a classification of software (its ’status’ so to say). It’s like comparing apples and… motor oil brands.

Edit: I just browsed around a little bit more. Quite frankly, this 'abandonware' section isn't of much use in this state. There's indeed absolutely no mention of what system these games are for, there's no indication which language they're in and there are tons of technical problems (wrong character encoding, non-escaped spaces in file names and so on). Hopefully, they'll get this sorted out.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 17:23 on December 19th, 2006
Posted at 19:40 on December 19th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
They moved their screenshots (google images still brings up the old addresses). That plus the fact that I overlooked the links to the alphabetical sections at the top of the SNES page led me to believe that they had dropped their commercial roms.

Many of the abandonware titles do say PC or XP in the descriptions (although it's buried in the description instead of being out in the open somewhere). All things considered, it's most likely that all of it is PC/DOS based.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 07:58 on December 20th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I guess they don't include such crucial information, because they're used to using extremely lame 'file renaming schemes' as it is common on 'ROM' sites...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 22:20 on December 20th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Nowadays rom sites are a bit redundant, with things like the goodroms wich are collections of all the versions (which includes the best) of each ROM having a webpage just for offering them is nearly worthless. But this page at least haves images, which load very slowly.

I don't think they will add any more technical information as they have the other computers in the emulation section.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll