The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Comics - Antique comics
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Antique comics

Posted at 15:05 on March 17th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/ has a shitload of golden age comics that have lapsed into the public domain. There's some interesting stuff there, and there's some really freaking weird stuff there. All in all, it's quite interesting to browse through. You have to sign up to download (although it's free, and there's no email confirmation system) and there's a daily limit to how many megs you can download each day.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 18:58 on March 18th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
An excellent find! For some reason, I could download a few of those without registering, but not others. Strange. Anyway, what I like most about comics of this age is the open racism. Hilarious ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 03:50 on March 19th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
There was a lot of racism against the axis races (especially japanese and german) in comics of that era, due to the war. That was also a pre-civil liberties era, so racism in general is unsurprising.
I was watching some old cartoons from around the 20s~40s the other day (they're public domain now, so you can find them on $1 DVDs all over the place here, you can also download some from archive.org), and it's amazing the ammount of blatant racism in many of them (mostly black racism). A few years back there was a big fuss about editing tom & jerry cartoons where they would appear in blackface after a firecracker went off in their face. That was nothing compared to these....
-----
Posted at 22:22 on March 19th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Much more fun than these days of political correctness.
-----
Posted at 00:39 on March 28th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Here's some for ya: http://allspark.net/cypherswipe/Blondie007-23.jpg
-----
Posted at 08:36 on March 29th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Hehe - that reminds me a lot of these old Donald Duck comics where he and Scrooge would go on expeditions to find treasures in remote locations. They always met 'primitive natives' ;)
-----
Posted at 00:48 on April 10th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Try this pgae: http://www.misterkitty.org/extras/stupidcovers/stupidcomics79.html
-----
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll