The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Floppy Images - Contra and Gryzor for DOS - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: bnl7q
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 16:51 on October 5th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Yes, please!
I'll PM you the link
Posted at 16:45 on October 5th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Good news :) If you'd like me to put it on the Archive.org collection, let me know.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 15:19 on October 5th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Fortunately, another copy of the game was found and it was sent to be imaged/preserved. This one was found to contain no data corruption/errors. If anyone's interested, please let me know and I'll provide it.

Credit goes to Kasettilamerit, the preservation team in Finland, and the kind contributor who contacted me about them finding the other copy of the game.
Posted at 07:30 on September 5th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sure, entirely possible. Though I don't see anyone taking the Herculean task of verifying everything again.
-----
Posted at 21:46 on September 4th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
What a shame. Does make me wonder what was done to verify images. Guess it doesn't matter since the original group left, but based on this one slipping through as verified, it wouldn't surprise me if there are other bad disk backups.
Posted at 18:11 on September 4th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, someone put it to "verified". However, it's impossible to backtrack. The people responsible for that collection at the time have left and it's now read-only and as-is.
-----
Posted at 15:04 on September 4th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Right.
So it's safe to say he uploaded a bad backup of the game without mentioning that and the archive has a corrupt download of the game.
-----
Edited by contrafan at 15:14 on September 4th, 2020
Posted at 13:30 on September 4th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Best of luck, then!
-----
Posted at 01:28 on September 4th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

That is approximately 2 months after the copy of Gryzor was sent to get backed up. Now, there's a chance he could have gotten extremely lucky in under 2 months. But in all my time scouring online stores, over 13 years which includes from this period in 2018, I've never seen another copy of this game listed for sale.

EDIT: Also, I tried messaging him in March of this year. I never got a response.
-----
Edited by contrafan at 01:31 on September 4th, 2020
Posted at 15:06 on August 21st, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Seeing that this set has an addition date of July 2018, I think it's unlikely those are your disks. You best contact flyers80 directly.
-----
Posted at 23:19 on August 19th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Bump
Posted at 03:25 on July 24th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Sorry to bump. But I just noticed that there is a Gryzor disk from flyers80 added to this site. Is that the same one from the disk I had my friend send to you to back up? Did you fix something on it, or did it not have any bad sectors? The download for it doesn't mention it having bad sectors or if it was a bad disk.
-----
Edited by contrafan at 03:28 on July 24th, 2020
Posted at 08:38 on March 18th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Posted at 15:57 on March 16th, 2020 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Hi,

I have a disk image dump of Contra for DOS, was sent to me. Can it be determined from the file alone if this image rip was done successfully, and also if there were no bad sectors/other data on the original disk? Or is that something that is only seen during the backup process?

Also, I had arranged for someone's copy of DOS Gryzor to be dumped. Sadly, their copy had several bad sectors so this task I still need to see finished. I just want to put out there that if anyone finds a copy of DOS Gryzor for sale online, please let me know as I'm trying to buy it to get a successful disk backup of this game.