The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Comics - Comics download problem! - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: ZO23u
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 17:36 on January 10th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Fixed, thanks for the report.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:42 on January 10th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
It seems that none of the downloads that were supposed to be available starting on January 8th are working. "File not found" as it says.

Anyway, thanks for the effort!
Posted at 19:22 on December 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Fixed. Thanks for the report.
-----
Posted at 02:05 on December 5th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
"The Secret of the Sword" download link is broken.
Posted at 02:04 on August 25th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Glad it's working now :)
-----
Posted at 15:40 on August 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 23:32 on August, 24th 2006:

You should be able to resume the download within the three-hour timeframe. Not by clicking the download link on the site again, though, this will start a new download. You have to do it from within the program you used for the first download.

Maybe it's late or I'm too tired, but I don't understand, Download manager can not work, I only can download it by clicking link?

Wait, I managed to capture a link with download manager.
Did you managed to implement a resume feature?

Works fine, guess I was hotheaded
a little bit! :)

Edited by niko32 at 00:04 on August, 24th 2006
-----
I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.
Posted at 15:32 on August 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You should be able to resume the download within the three-hour timeframe. Not by clicking the download link on the site again, though, this will start a new download. You have to do it from within the program you used for the first download.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:34 on August, 24th 2006
-----
Posted at 15:31 on August 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Argh!!! :angry: Same thing hapenned again when I tried to download my second file?
-----
I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.
Posted at 15:30 on August 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
my download got a number now at the end of a filename: star_final--11564522912948.rar
Yes, that number is the the number of milliseconds between January 1st, 1970 and the time you started the download. I don't want to go into too much technical detail as it'd most likely be boring for everyone else, so I'll just say I'm working with temporary files there (the file is deleted after three hours, and to measure the age, a timestamp is used; it also makes the filename unique). This might be a bit strange for visitors (the weird filename), but it won't hurt and can be easily changed client-side.

Quote:
I wander if this modification is just for your testing purpose untill you find better solution
I put it in so that people can get working downloads. It's 'kind of' temporary, meaning I would like to replace it again, but I don't know with what yet. If and when I come up with something better, I'll remove this system again. Since it's working and 'kind of safe' at the moment, I'm not so hard-pressed to change it in the near future. My top priority would be to fix the old code which caused the problems anyway, because it is the ultimate solution in theory.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:31 on August, 24th 2006
-----
Posted at 15:15 on August 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Great! Huge Thanks! :D :D :D

Sorry I was offline for almost a day! (that's the good thing about dial-ups ;) )

Tho, strangly enough, my download got a number now at the end of a filename: star_final--11564522912948.rar (just a notice, possibly because of your modification)

Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 11:20 on August, 24th 2006:

It's flawed, too, because it's a huge waste of resources and the maximum download time is limited,

Now I wander if this modification is just for your testing purpose or it's gonna stay untill you find better solution, since I'm gonna need probably a couple of months to download MOTU collection?

Edited by niko32 at 23:24 on August, 24th 2006
-----
Posted at 08:34 on August 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
That's great :) niko, what about you?
-----
Posted at 05:48 on August 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Yep, works now.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 03:20 on August 24th, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Unfortunately, while working on the code, I found a fatal flaw in my reasoning, so I had to abandon the idea entirely. Instead, I've put in a quick and dirty hack which should do it for now. It's flawed, too, because it's a huge waste of resources and the maximum download time is limited, but I've put in three hours now (I calculated how long it would take to download 20MB with 2KB/s - this is twice as big as the largest file and slower than what everyone should get on the slowest dial-ups, so I hope it's enough).

Please let me know if you can download the comics succcessfully now. In the meantime, I'll try to come up with a better download scheme, but I'm out of ideas for now.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 11:22 on August, 24th 2006
-----
Posted at 15:50 on August 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
You are apsolutely right about people who don't want to speak about it, most of them probably just don't want to bother with that. :(

Well, I definitly learned something today. And beside my wish to download those comics I hope that I've contributed a little bit in diagnostics of problem and wish You luck in improving your site to become more user friendly to all of us doomed on dial-up connections. :D
-----
Posted at 12:28 on August 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Makes little difference to me personally, I already grabbed all the comics ages ago, and burned them to CD. :D

Would it be possible to make the script/server allow resuming? That wouldn't be an ideal solution, but at least it'd provide some way for those on dialup to get the files.
-----
Posted at 12:14 on August 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As I said, this requires a rewrite now. I think I'll have the first version up tomorrow, but I don't know what problems I'll encounter in the process, so don't hold your breath.

Quote:
Why only few of us have problem with those download links?
First of all, I'm sure there are many more people suffering from this. However, it's a common behaviour not to say anything about it. Unexplainable, but fact. Second, this is connection related. When I download something from the site myself, I never get less than 100kb/s, usually a few times that value. So a 4MB download is over quickly, it takes a lot less time than when you run into the problem. High downstream speeds are common these days, so these people don't even notice any problem.
-----
Posted at 12:10 on August 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Eh! The problem lingers on!

I hope you will someday find time, will... to maybe change the system altogether. :)

Still one thing is left unanswered: Why only few of us have problem with those download links?
-----
Posted at 12:04 on August 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Same old, same old. :(
-----
Posted at 11:33 on August 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Right, I've uploaded what I consider the last try with this script version now. I doubt it'll change anything, but try it anyway.

If the problem persists, I'll have to think of changing the system altogether. I do have a basic idea, but it would involve larger changes / rewrites of the code, of course.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 19:34 on August, 23rd 2006
-----
Posted at 11:31 on August 23rd, 2006 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Once again it completed when it wasn't suppose to complete. :)
-----