The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Some Feedback about the Site / Various Other Matters
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Some Feedback about the Site / Various Other Matters

Posted at 17:56 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Hi! It's my first post here. This is a nice site that you have! I noticed a few things and thought I would add my opinion for your consideration.

1) When you list the SHA1 Hashes, first you give the hash, and then the filename (disk01.img). Would it be possible to put the filename first? Maybe it's just me, but I would find this more natural and faster to read and compare. You start with the short item (the name) and then just look a little to the right to see the hash. The way it currently is I have to follow the filename all the way back to the beginning of the hash. OK, it's not really a big deal, but it makes sense to me :)

2) With Sierra games, is it possible to put the version # (V1.001 or whatever) into the title? That way when you are looking at the list of 5 games with the same title, you don't have to go into every single one to find out the version #s for the one you are looking for. And in fact, Sierra's int # is also important information in a few cases. There are games that have the same version # but different int #, and this would cause those images to be different, so you would need to know what it is in order to verify the set. This information is easily available on most of their games from the disk label.

3) Is it really worth keeping Codename Iceman (168)? Comment is V1.023 and all disks are incorrect. But you have (1131) with the same version and it's Verified. I suggest to get rid of (168), it is just a waste of time... only keep bad images until you get a good one.

4) Maybe I'll have some more later... thanks!
Posted at 18:09 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I have verified Conquests of the Longbow (833).

And Year: should be 1991, not 1992.

v1.000 (v1.0 on mine - Sierra often printed different variations of .0 on their labels, or had a difference between the label and the information in the game or on the disk files, so I accept the variation as being possible) was released in 1991.
-----
Edited by Brandon K. at 18:18 on June 7th, 2013
Posted at 18:18 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Apologies for multiple posts, it is just easier to post as I go.

I have verified Gobliins 2: The Prince Buffoon (235).
Posted at 19:42 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I have verified Leisure Suit Larry 5: Passionate Patti Does a Little Undercover Work (287).
Posted at 19:54 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Deceased Gumby
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Originally posted by Brandon K. at 17:56 on June 7th, 2013:
2) With Sierra games, is it possible to put the version # (V1.001 or whatever) into the title?

Interesting point, but I think it would be quite a bit of effort, especially since it would only make sense if we did it for all of the games (not just those of Sierra).

4) Maybe I'll have some more later... thanks!

You are welcome and thanks for the feedback!
-----
The known is finite, the unknown infinite. - Thomas Henry Huxley
Posted at 19:56 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
1) When you list the SHA1 Hashes, first you give the hash, and then the filename (disk01.img). Would it be possible to put the filename first? Maybe it's just me, but I would find this more natural and faster to read and compare. You start with the short item (the name) and then just look a little to the right to see the hash. The way it currently is I have to follow the filename all the way back to the beginning of the hash. OK, it's not really a big deal, but it makes sense to me :)

The thing here is that this is the output of the GNU sha1sum tool. Displaying it like this enables scripted (automatic) verification.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 20:03 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
There are some games I would like to try and help sort out (verifying or finding out if they're bad images), but when the entry is not fully detailed, I cannot look into the details without being able to examine the images themselves. And I cannot download the files because I do not have any points.

Quote:
Interesting point, but I think it would be quite a bit of effort, especially since it would only make sense if we did it for all of the games (not just those of Sierra).

Well, the amount of effort is subjective :) For me, I don't think it's very much effort, at least when the version # exists in the comments. And I certainly think it's not a bad idea in general, even for other games. You could have a separate column, and it could be optional. It's an extra help if the field is filled in, but if it's not, it's no loss, since it was never there until now anyway. But anyway, just my idea and opinion! I don't mind if you don't do it, I just thought it could be helpful.
Posted at 20:50 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I have verified Hero's Quest: So You Want to be a Hero (795).
Posted at 21:12 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I have verified Quest for Glory 3: Wages of War (999).
Posted at 21:20 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
649 Screen Antics: Jhonny Castaway
580 Jonny Castaway Screen Saver

Both are incorrect, it should be Johnny.

Also, I would suggest standardizing the titles, so that they're seen together in the list.
Posted at 21:30 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
I have verified Space Quest 4: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers (368).

HOWEVER

disk1.img -> startup.img
disk2.img -> disk1.img
disk3.img -> disk2.img
disk4.img -> disk3.img
disk5.img -> disk4.img
disk6.img -> disk5.img
Posted at 21:41 on June 7th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
And here we go... this should be the last post for now :)

X-Wing (595) v1.0 "Only disk 1 differs from ID 110."
X-Wing (110) v1.0

My v1.0 set also matches 595 and 110 from disks 2 through 5.

But like the note on 595, mine too has a different Disk 1.

I have not looked at my disk closely yet, nor can I check 595 and 110 since I can't download anything.

But I would guess that they did something to make each disk unique?

EDIT: Oh, there are ALSO 2 more X-Wing v1.0, 705 and 611. Neither of those are verified. They are different from each other and different from 595 and 110. So my guess is that these other 2 (705 and 611) could be improper dump, or some other mysterious circumstance, but improper dump seems more likely? Would need to be able to download them and check them in more detail to find out.
-----
Edited by Brandon K. at 21:45 on June 7th, 2013
Posted at 08:36 on June 8th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Since you keep repeating one point, I feel the need to point you towards the FAQ.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 15:08 on June 8th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Pupil Gumby
Yes, I realize the setup of your points system. I stopped by to help verify games. I don't know if I have the time to contribute at this time in order to earn points. Hope the verifications were useful!
Posted at 17:04 on June 8th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
In first place, thanks for helping. Anybody giving a hand and checking the images helps a lot with this collection.

Quote:

2) With Sierra games, is it possible to put the version # (V1.001 or whatever) into the title? That way when you are looking at the list of 5 games with the same title, you don't have to go into every single one to find out the version #s for the one you are looking for. And in fact, Sierra's int # is also important information in a few cases. There are games that have the same version # but different int #, and this would cause those images to be different, so you would need to know what it is in order to verify the set. This information is easily available on most of their games from the disk label.

What you mean they have same version but not the same stored number?

Apart from that. The title should never have any kind of description about the game, unlike what ROM collections get us used to.

Quote:

3) Is it really worth keeping Codename Iceman (168)? Comment is V1.023 and all disks are incorrect. But you have (1131) with the same version and it's Verified. I suggest to get rid of (168), it is just a waste of time... only keep bad images until you get a good one.

If we did that we would get the disks from the 168 id, would have to check them agains, discover again they are bad and then remove them again. This way we have identified those disks as bad.

That concrete example comes from TOSEC. So having it marked as bad we have identified an entry from a known collection as bad.

Quote:
I've verified...

Noted them, and also corrected any wrong info when needed.

Quote:
And I cannot download the files because I do not have any points.

Usually, those who help sending new images get access to the images they need.

Quote:
649 Screen Antics: Jhonny Castaway
580 Jonny Castaway Screen Saver

Thanks for noting this. They are the same entry. I'll fix that.

Quote:

disk1.img -> startup.img

I'm sure that there is more than one entry with that kind of problem. Right now I consider it very low priority. But once we have got rid of the backlog of waiting entries we can start cleaning up names and such better.

Edit: I've noticed the problem of Jhonny Castaway, they are marked as differently sized images. Will try to contact meyou to see if his image was actually different. I fear problems like this arise from time to time, that's why it's useful having people checking the collection.
-----
Edited by Wandrell at 17:07 on June 8th, 2013
Posted at 18:16 on June 8th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Originally posted by Brandon K. at 15:08 on June 8th, 2013:
Yes, I realize the setup of your points system. I stopped by to help verify games. I don't know if I have the time to contribute at this time in order to earn points. Hope the verifications were useful!

Hi.

To earn any points, I recommend to upload your dumps on ftp.
(About ftp, you had better contact administrator.)

I'm contributing many of diskimages from my retail package or downloaded one.
I've also fixing many of modified or bad dumped diskimages.
Posted at 03:26 on June 23rd, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Student Gumby
Quote:
Edit: I've noticed the problem of Jhonny Castaway, they are marked as differently sized images. Will try to contact meyou to see if his image was actually different. I fear problems like this arise from time to time, that's why it's useful having people checking the collection.

My disk is 1.44 MB.

Can I contribute old OS disks or retail boot disks for points?
-----
Edited by meyou at 03:30 on June 23rd, 2013
Posted at 17:40 on June 24th, 2013 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Then they are the same, I'll have to fix that then.

You can contribute them. Right now they are at a low priority but will be added.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll