The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Detoriation of language - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: MlweO
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 10:31 on March 6th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Anything but "ghetto-talk"! Some African-Americans think if you don't write like that all the time, you are not truly "black"! Sometimes I grow weary living here.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 16:45 on March 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
There was some talk about ghetto-talk early in this thread, and here's a classic example found at the Game Hippo fora:
Quote:
Aight Now I Wanna Know How Come Dat Crazy Cross Haz A Full Version And gamehippo Aint Got It Only A Very Short Demo.And How Can Ya Have A Sequl To A Game And Not Even Have Tha First Version!

Im Sho Sum peepz Out Dere Agree
:pain:

Edited by Da_Goat at 00:45 on March, 05th 2003
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 12:48 on March 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Posted by NetDanzr at 20:10 on March, 5th 2003:

I've seen links to the article on several forums already. The saddest one was where the author posted the link, and asked: "WTF is wrong with that girl?"
I can only guess, but maybe that person is someone who thinks he/she can distinguish between "Internet talk" and "reality talk". I know some people who always use perfect language in written language, but when they go to the Internet, they suddenly switch to completely incomprehensable gibberish. I don't like or approve that, because I don't see why "the Internet" would nullify every basic language rule, but at least it's better than those people who take this stuff into real life...
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 12:39 on March 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
That story (in the article) is very sad, indeed...
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 12:10 on March 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I've seen links to the article on several forums already. The saddest one was where the author posted the link, and asked: "WTF is wrong with that girl?"
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 11:30 on March 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
A couple of my friends use that on-line, but I excuse it, forgiving them since they are on the internet. It gets scary when they use it to write notes, or use it on a webpage they a building for class. ("I think you should use readable English on a web page." "Why? This IS the internet.") Eh, they can't even comprehend.
-----
Posted at 07:02 on March 5th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Found a news article which fits this topic perfectly. I couldn't decypher that quote! The only last tiny bit of hope is in this sentence:
Quote:
explained that she found it "easier than standard English"
That means she knew there is 'something else'.... :worried:
-----
Posted at 07:49 on December 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
According to the Oxford Dictionary, practice is a noun and practise the related verb. In the USA, noun and verb are spelt identically (practice). A doctor is a practitioner. So it is a bit of everything you suspected ;)

My 'who needs practice' is therefore correct, because it is clearly used as a noun (lucky guess :D).

Edited by Mr Creosote at 15:53 on December, 14th 2002
-----
Posted at 07:44 on December 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quick spelling question (inspired by the use of this word in the MM2 Tournament thread); what is the correct or preferred spelling: 'practice' or 'practise'? I'm not even sure if they both mean the exact same, eg.: Does a doctor have a practice/practise? Do you practice/practise a certain religion? Does the spelling have to do with such nuances or is it just British/American spelling?
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 06:58 on December 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Tapuak at 07:09 on December 13th, 2002

unless Portuguese has become the main language here meanwhile

Well, that would at least reduce the number of spelling mistakes I make, though I'm sure it wouldn't eliminate them completely. ;)
-----
C&apos;est pas la chute qu&apos;importe -- c&apos;est l&apos;atterrissage
Posted at 04:09 on December 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, that makes sense ;) You still didn't tell me about my other German words because I'd seriously like to get rid of them on this board....
-----
Posted at 01:24 on December 14th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 05:08 on December, 13th 2002:

sterge? I will gladly do the same with your posts - that'll be quite a lot of work for me :P

Quote:
Posted by NetDanzr at 10:22 on December, 13th 2002:

The other way to bastardize a language is by the native speakers, or those who speak the language perfectly. Only those are able and arrogant enough to change words, spelling or leave out letters, which destroys the language from the inside, and, unfortunatelly, is finding its way to real life.

I Believe Danzr answered as to why I spell thing wrong, that and me being stupid and not being able to spell words :P
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 10:34 on December 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Tuss: And what's so incredibly confusing about that sentence?
-----
Posted at 10:33 on December 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
That's because I'm too much of a bastard to be considered either American or European, Mr Creosote ;).
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 10:31 on December 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Last time I checked, you considered it an insult if someone called you 'American', so that doesn't make much sense

See? That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Tuss
-----
Posted at 10:29 on December 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
you Europeans
Last time I checked, you considered it an insult if someone called you 'American', so that doesn't make much sense :P
-----
Posted at 08:22 on December 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I'd like to point out that there are two different ways to bastardize a language, and the one Tapuak mentioned (by foreigners is only one of them).

The first way is indeed by foreigners, and trust me: you Europeans have seen nothing yet. In some Cetral American countries, English has totally destroyed Spanish, replacing it with the so-called "Spanglish".

The other way to bastardize a language is by the native speakers, or those who speak the language perfectly. Only those are able and arrogant enough to change words, spelling or leave out letters, which destroys the language from the inside, and, unfortunatelly, is finding its way to real life.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 03:08 on December 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yep, "Iraque" is the French spelling. The only German spelling I remember using here was "Elch" because that would be pronounced right in English, too ;) Other than that, would you please point out all the many words spelt incorrectly by me, sterge? I will gladly do the same with your posts - that'll be quite a lot of work for me :P
-----
Posted at 00:09 on December 13th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
I can testify that it is a french word.
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 23:09 on December 12th, 2002 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Iraque? That's not German spelling, unless Portuguese has become the main language here meanwhile. ;)