The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - help with sherlock holmes - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: zC2W9
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 09:49 on January 10th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Great. Let us know what you think of the game when you've played it a little more :)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 09:39 on January 10th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
it works with dosbox, thank you a lot
Posted at 09:07 on January 10th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
When setting the IRQ and DMA channel, make sure you actually match the values of your sound card. Blindly trying any values will not do anything. On many MS-Windows-driven machines, these values are completely out of the bounds of the settings which are common in MS-DOS (IRQ 7 or 5, DMA 1), so the game might not even offer the ones which are set for your hardware. Also, it's possible that your sound card isn't compatible with any of the ones supported by the game. Soundblaster compatibility usually is the key.

I can't help you with VDM Sound as I've never used it, however, the error message is strange, as I don't think you can run Windows 98 without 'Administrator' privileges.

There are two things I'd recommend if anything else fails:

1. Boot directly into the DOS prompt instead of the Windows frontend. You still need to make sure your sound card is properly configured hardware-wise, but in general, it's a lot safer for DOS games.
2. Try the Dosbox emulator. Then, you don't need to take care of the actual settings of your sound card, as one will be emulated on top of your real one. This will only work, if you have a reasonably fast computer, of course (>1GHz).
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 08:19 on January 10th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
i try to run the game "sherlock holmes consulting detective" on windows 98. work fine, but without sound. i also try to change IRQ and i have the same result - no sound. and i download vdm sound, but when i try to install it, it says - you must running as an administrator to can install vdm sound. can you give me an advice, please? thank you