The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Board clock - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 4BJGg
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 23:00 on December 23rd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Same here, which is probably why this never crossed my mind. Additionally, I keep losing track of time anyway, so whether something is 'off' by a few hours never occurs to me ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 23:01 on December 23rd, 2008
Posted at 22:56 on December 23rd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I never even noticed it before seeing this thread, I rarely look at timestamps on posts (and don't think I've ever looked at the stamps on a post here). The date is the only thing I generally look at.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 22:24 on December 23rd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
No, there isn't a particular reason - it's not there because nobody ever requested it. Feel free to open a ticket. This is trivial, so I guess I could schedule it for the 5.1 release.
-----
Posted at 18:23 on December 23rd, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Any particular reason why this forum doesn't let users set their timezones in their profiles, so that everyone would see the posts in their own times? All other release-ready forum scripts I've ever encountered have that function, it's generally considered an essential one.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 17:20 on December 6th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Actually, we'd all be fine if the whole world were just one 'time zone' (i.e. if time zones didn't exist). Time zones only serve the purpose of roughly upholding the convention of what hour refers to what time of the day. I could get used to (for example) '20' meaning noon easily.
-----
Posted at 16:06 on December 6th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I don't really see how China gets by with one time zone. I live on the very edge of a time zone and in the middle of summer daylight will last until 10:15 pm. Its not even that far north...
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 22:40 on December 5th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
OK youre right we are far of from Hero Quest. But I haven´t noticed it before. Sorry.
I just expected an german site to be set to GMT+1. But it´s ok to me just the way it is.
Posted at 18:53 on December 5th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
First of all, sorry, but this really didn't have anything to do with Hero Quest anymore, so I split your question into its own topic.

Second, it's neither. Or at least your second assumption is incorrect, I don't know about your clock ;) Since this site and forum are visited from people all over the world, its clock is set to UTC. This, I think, is the most convenient compromise, because basically everybody knows their timezone in respect to (+|-)[0-2][0-9]:[0-5][0-9], so it's the simplest value to calculate your local time from it (or the other way round).

So, for example, if your local clock is set to CET (i.e. +01:00), this post will have appeared one hour 'later' for you than the board shows.

If you want to learn more about the concept of time zones and its effect on us, I strongly recommend Heinrich Lübcke's speech on this ;)
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 18:56 on December 5th, 2008
Posted at 17:59 on December 5th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Im a little bit confused right now. Is my clock going wrong. Or does the Forum doesn´t have daylight saving?