The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Chaos Engine Online - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: 9HJ$t
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 13:35 on August 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Ever tried Lands of Lore II?
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 13:34 on August 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Lands of Lore III was HORRIBLE. It was in 3d but character movement was limited with EoB-like maze movement even in a FOREST. It also had some bugs that made it impossible to advance beyond certain areas and finish the game. They could NOT be fixed if your save was already broken. It would be in my worst 10 games list if I had one.
Posted at 12:11 on August 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Their first era was with SSI as a publisher; that's when they developed games like Roadwar, Battletech and the first two EoB games. When they merged with Virgin, they developed games like Lands of Lore, Dune 2 and the first C&C. Then they were sold to EA, and all they did were remakes or sequels - the terrible Dune 2000, all the C&C spinoffs, The absolutely awful Land of Lore 2 and just marginally better third part. I'd say that Westwood is probably the best example of how bad EA is.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 11:12 on August 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Yes, they used to make great games in the past. I love EOB series. I didn't think the sudden change was related to virgin but it just sounds right.
Posted at 10:53 on August 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Every time I see "game" and "online" in one paragraph, I turn away. The only games I played on-line were MUDs, and I'm not about to start multiplayer games again.

As for Blizzard doing good job converting Warcraft into 3D, it's only partial. True, they managed to do an awesome job with the graphics, and WC3 is the first 3D strategy game where I didn't have a problem with camera movement and units getting out of my field of view. However, the strategic aspects of the game suck; as a strategy, Warcraft 3 is less than average.

As for Westwood, I really loved them when they were still were part of Virgin. Even before they had some awesome games (Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2), but after the merger they produced Dune 2, Lands of Lore and later Command & Conquer, all at a time when people could only dream of companies like Blizzard.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 06:58 on August 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Yes, Westwood never made a single good game as well. Debate? What debate? Both these companies suck, all their members/employees should be executed for being responsible for killing off good gaming. Simple as that.

That being said, you might be able to imagine I can't say much about the graphics of "Warcraft 3". I doubt I'd like it, though.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 06:22 on August 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I think blizzard kept kicking westwood's ass pretty badly after dune-warcraft debate.

Starcraft/Warcraft 1-2 vs C&C/Red Alert/tiberian shit etc. I always supported blizzard, their games were far more entertaining. Sure they ripped the idea off but did not end up with a fascist game like C&C Generals :p

I'm with you on diablo 1-2, these games are really bad, maybe because they didn't steal the gameplay but made by themselves :D

I tried to point out that they managed to fix 3d's weaknesses by stylyzing the gfx of Warcraft III. Their 3d artists are great.
Posted at 02:47 on August 22nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Needless to say if it'll be 3D, I'll be deeply disappointed. Oh yes, and these Blizzard-newbies suck, never made a good game. SWIV3D.... hehehehehehehe.... silliest name ever ;)
-----
Posted at 17:47 on August 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I hope it won't be in 3d. There's only one company who managed to turn a great 2d game into a great 3d one and it's Blizzard. (WarCraft III)

Bitmap Bros. is in a terrible situation. They are great 2d game developers but that market is quite dead at the moment. Many other software houses tried to make 3d versions of their old games just because 3d was popular. They failed because money was all they were after. Developers didn't have any enthusiasm left when developing SWIV3D or Simon 3d. As I said, bitmaps are great I don't want to think they'll ruin this however they already ruined the CE name with the crappy sequel!

Edited by Burseg at 14:15 on August, 22nd 2003
Posted at 14:37 on August 21st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Source: http://www.pczone.co.uk/

Quote:
UK developers The Bitmap Brothers and Nicely Crafted Entertainment (responsible for MMORTS Time of Defiance) have announced that they've joined forces to work together "on a number of exciting new products". Part of this team-up will involve the creation of an online version of Bitmap's classic 16-bit blaster Chaos Engine.

Under the partnership, The Bitmap Brothers and Nicely Crafted Entertainment (NiCE) will share technology and intellectual properties, and as well as re-inventing Chaos Engine in online form will explore "new genres for MMOG entertainment".

The developers will also work together to create an online version of The Bitmap Bros. World War II strategy title Frontline Command. Which is odd, because we thought it was online already. Although not "massively".

Speaking about the team-up, The Bitmap Brothers' managing director Mike Montgomery commented: "This is an exciting time for us and we're looking forward to this new venture hugely. Toby Simpson and his team are a great bunch, and between us we aim to create some stunning titles."

"I am looking forward to applying some of Bitmap's creative magic to a new genre," he said.

NiCE's managing director Toby Simpson also gave some words on the partnership: "Our revolutionary scalable AliceServer technology married with The Bitmap Brothers' product designs and development heritage will allow us to create MMOG titles that we'd all only previously dreamt of."

I'm definitely curious now :)
-----