The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - The Politics Thread - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: wIqm1
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 04:26 on April 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
On another note, I heard on one news-report yesterday that a section of Belgian Doctersis going to sue the American commander of their forces in Iraq for War crimes because american forces refused to protect certain hospitals which resulted in the deaths of some pregnant women who were in need of a C-section but due to looting the required equipment was gone and their Uteri (sp?) bursted which as I can imagine is a pretty painfull way to go but when I checked the other two news-reports from different domestic stations, they never mentioned such an item in their news'... Does anyone else know anything about this? Is this just a piece of Fiction propagated by VT4 (not the most reliable source of news in my eyes but I haven't known them to blatently lie so...) or is this actually true?
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 11:36 on April 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
There were tens of thousands protesting against war, so I would assume that these 8,000 were just a fraction of all prortesters.
There we are - exactly what I said. There was a huge peaceful demonstration and later, presumably after most people had already arrived back home, a (relatively) small group gets into a fight. That's exactly how I've experienced it on almost every demonstration I took part in.

Quote:
the police apparently prefer to arrest some random protesters and then make an estimate afterwards; so that number of 8,000 probably includes a lot of people that weren't actually doing anything wrong, but happened to be around there protesting when the fights took place.
That's my experience, too. There was this student demonstration against the war for example in which the police used their 'waterthrowers' and other weapons against teenagers. Later, they claimed there had been groups of (adult) Kurds amongst the protesters who had started the violence. Strangely enough, there wasn't a single photo of those and the arrested people were all Germans between 13 and 18. I can assure everyone it's quite simple to tell an adult from Turkey or the middle east apart from some typical German teenager... (just one extreme example of course)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 10:07 on April 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Based on my personal experience, the vast majority of those 8000 came to cause trouble. I've been in Prague during the IMF meeting a few years ago, and I'm still mad at the police refusing to use sharp ammo. Those protesters are the masters of urban warfare, and all they want to is to destroy everything in sight. In addition, 8,000 is not such a high number for the whole demonstration. There were tens of thousands protesting against war, so I would assume that these 8,000 were just a fraction of all prortesters. Still the number is rather high to dismiss it as a bunch of lunatics.
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 07:21 on April 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Well, my view on all this: there might be some 'hooligans' who travel across their country, or even across the world, to cause havoc and get into fights with the police, like Mr Creosote said it's the only goal of the 'protesting' for some people. An EU summit is bound to attract a lot of media attention, so a lot of people could have traveled down there just to start a riot.

From my experience with protests, which is not that much I admit, it's fairly easy to pick these people out... but the police apparently prefer to arrest some random protesters and then make an estimate afterwards; so that number of 8,000 probably includes a lot of people that weren't actually doing anything wrong, but happened to be around there protesting when the fights took place.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 07:14 on April 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Your argument would hold if there weren't the (unknown) numbers of how many people there were on the protest before violence started and the percentage of those '8000' which came there to protest peacefully and then suddenly found themselves being beaten up with truncheons...
-----
Posted at 06:56 on April 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
You argument would hold, if there were indeed a few people wreaking havoc. However, there were 8,000 of so-called "peace protesters" who clashed with the police. That doesn't look to peaceful to me...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 05:53 on April 17th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Here's something new:
[...]How do you properly spell "hypocrits"?
And what's new about that? On each such occasion, there are always people who will misuse it to wreak havoc. Just like there are always some dumb people amongst the policemen who can't wait to beat up some defenseless people and act accordingly (as for example many pupils from Hamburg between 12 and 16 had to learn the painful way...). All that doesn't make the protests less valid though, because all these people aren't there to protest against insert-whatever-the-demo-is-about, but to fight with the respective 'enemy'.
-----
Posted at 12:25 on April 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E-S
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 12:18 on April 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Here's something new:

Quote:
Greek police said they arrested 106 anti-Iraq war demonstrators after two hours of violence close to the scene of an EU summit in Athens on Wednesday.

Protesters threw Molotov cocktails, stones, bricks and paint at police and the Italian, French, British and U.S. embassies.

Police estimated more than 8,000 protesters were involved in the clashes in Athens's central Syntagma Square and near the U.S. embassy.

How do you properly spell "hypocrits"?
-----
NetDanzr<br />
Posted at 03:30 on April 11th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
And we spell it Taliban in Imperialistic
We're using the same spelling in German, but according to the BBC, Taleban is a perfectly correct spelling in English :P
-----
Posted at 17:20 on April 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
I guess the USA should prepare for a few decades of being forced to station military in that region...

I agree, just like we've been in Korea for around 50 years.

Quote:
Is anyone else thinking the Kurds will turn into a 'problem' later by the way?

That's a definite. I'm not sure in which way though, but right away Iraq and Turkey are going to be not to happy with them (the Iraqi people, not the puppet government that is going to be installed). There is going to be considerably more amount of strife there than before. I think we just ripped open a whole bag of war that was precariously contained before.

And we spell it Taliban in Imperialistic ;)
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 16:53 on April 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 01:29 on April, 11th 2003:

Is anyone else thinking the Kurds will turn into a 'problem' later by the way?

Yes they will become a problem, but they wont be a problem to the US, they will be a problem to Iraq and Turkey.

Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia all over again. Turkey will lose 50% of their population and land, so will Iraq.

In 2 or 3 years time the borders will be redrawn like they were redrawn by The League Of Nations after the Ottoman Empire collapsed and the British took over Messopatamia in around 1917.

Turkey and Iraq will become Turkey, Kurdistan and Iraq.
Posted at 16:29 on April 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Is anyone else thinking the Kurds will turn into a 'problem' later by the way? Now, they've been armed by the USA because they were 'useful' to them in some way - just like it happened with the Taleban, with the Baath party and this 'Northern Alliance' in Afghanistan. Wasn't one of the points pro-war fanatics always used "the USA might have made mistakes in the past (concerning giving arms to bad people), but they've learned from that"? It doesn't look like it to me...
-----
Posted at 15:49 on April 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
I guess the USA should prepare for a few decades of being forced to station military in that region... one of the least stable regions of the world, and they drop some bombs right into it. Smart.

Actually, the US does not always stay in the latest country they attacked. Take Afghanistan: Go in, throw bombs, go out. And nothing has changed there. The "warlords" who are in power in Afghanistan can be glad they don't live on some billion tons of oil.
Posted at 13:31 on April 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I guess the USA should prepare for a few decades of being forced to station military in that region... one of the least stable regions of the world, and they drop some bombs right into it. Smart.
-----
Posted at 13:21 on April 10th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Back to the old war subject, who thinks so far its all been a walk in the park and only now is the shit really going to start hitting the fan :doubt:

Iraq - a country so free from tyranny its people just kill one another for the fun of it, because there is no-one around to act like a tyrant.

They need some law and order and damn fast.
Posted at 05:55 on April 8th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
But even then, you're just asking for conflict with Eastasia.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 10:56 on April 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
About Turkey: I think they shouldn't be accepted into the EU for a simple reason: only a tiny part of their country is in Europe
I agree. Or else we should rename the European Union to the Eurasian Union... :)
-----
"In theory, if people bred as fast as ants, and with an equal indifference for it's surrounding species, earth would have 5 million human inhabitants at the turn of the century. But this, of course, is highly unthinkable"
Posted at 10:23 on April 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
About Turkey: I think they shouldn't be accepted into the EU for a simple reason: only a tiny part of their country is in Europe ;)
-----
Posted at 07:59 on April 7th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
BBC
The expansion would add 75 million people to the 400 million already living in the EU, but the increase of population by nearly 20% adds no more than 5% to the union's wealth.

Thats a clear reason why Germany, Britain and France are going to get shafted.

I wonder if there will be an explosion of - perfectly legal - economic migrants?