The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - Banishing of violent games - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: Pan1i
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 13:44 on January 28th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I fear what would happen is that football games would become even more popular, along with simple action games like Counter-Strike and to some extent strategy games similar to Age of Empires it seems one of the most popular kind of game.
Posted at 11:19 on January 28th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Why don't you look at the positive side of things? If this gets through, people will be forced to play way superior games again ;)
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 01:50 on January 28th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, I mainly expected to get a german's view on this, that sounded absurd, knowing that it is of just of a part of the country where it was proposed shows is less serious. But all these political tactics allways anger me, more when they propose things, like depurating TV where even on the estatal channels the main programs are about critizing celebrities of all classes, and do nothing when they arrive to the power.

But I don't wish to start a political debate, after all, all the goverments are bad, just that some are worse, and anarchism doesn't work because it's too unorganized...
Posted at 16:59 on January 27th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Bavaria is a part of Germany, yes, but Germany is a federal state. There's the federal government (the 'German government') as well a numerous regional governments. This comes from one of those regional governments, not the federal one. The reason why I mentioned it is to give you an idea of the actual impact this has here (little) and how many stages it would still have to pass to get to EU level (many).

Anyway, sorry, but I still don't buy into the movie argument. 'Seven' is nowhere near as gory as an average shooter. Same with lower-class action movies (with Seagal and such). Sure, it still looks more realistic in a movie (I remember actually getting sick when watching a scene in 'Blade 2' which showed some sort of heart operation in bloody detail), but there never is this mass violence and amount of spurting blood you get to see in those games.

Quote:
serving as an scape goat and a politician's tool
That much is obvious. However, I don't expect much controversy about that in this forum ;) It's the same as politicians who planned banning TV, the Beatles or even cars in the past.
-----
Posted at 12:44 on January 27th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, I was thinking on B and gore movies, I know more than one person who likes them, films like "Story of Ricky", but there are more mainstream violent films, such as Seven.

But to the general level, in the action films there are as many shots as in an action game, and they the films thend to be more impactant, I've seen Seagal blowing more legs that you usually see in a game. In a game called "Soldier of Fortune", I think it was that, you could blow legs, but it looked as if you were breaking a doll.

Every person around here says Germany, Bavaria isn't part of Germany? I don't expect many of us to have that level of geographical level, if for example something happens in Extremadura for everybody outside here will be Spain.

But going back to the main point, the ban is an exaggerated measure, violent games are not for kids, banning them because kid can play to them is like banning cars because kids may ride them and have accidents. I know there was a murder supposedly caused by videogames that produced all this, but in many countries, including mine, have been cases like that and always videogames had nothing to do, except serving as an scape goat and a politician's tool.
-----
Edited by Wandrell at 12:57 on January 27th, 2007
Posted at 22:44 on January 26th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It's actually not the Bavarian government which proposed this.

Quote:
it has been always easier to get a crude and violent film than a game to reach that level
Err... are you serious? Show me a movie in which a single guy runs around killing thousands of people. Not war movies in which a nuclear bomb is dropped on some city, but movies in which the protagonist is explicitly shown killing each of these people individually.
-----
Posted at 17:50 on January 26th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Well, I've heard that the german goverment haves a special love for violent games, but now they propose to ban it in all the European Union? It's worse than when Greece banned videogames because of their definition of electronic bet games. Saying it's to protect the childs is silly, it has been always easier to get a crude and violent film than a game to reach that level.