The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Elements on main page do not match larger font sizes
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll
» Multiple Pages: 123

Elements on main page do not match larger font sizes

Posted at 04:31 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Nowadays it seems en vogue to use fonts that really aren't scalable to fit with the rest of the elements on the page whenever a user 'chooses' to use a minimum font size. My minimum, for my eyesight, is 18pt.

Here's an attachment of what your site looks like in my browser. I experience this problem with a lot of sites I visit.

The good news is, the forum doesn't have this problem. So maybe you can transpose some of your code over to the main site pages. People with lesser eyesight will appreciate it.
-----
Posted at 04:34 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Master Gumby
Can't edit the title to correct.

Don't know if the attachment made it threw or not. Here's the attachment again.
Attachment: *****
-----
Posted at 07:36 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
You should be able to edit the title of the thread, actually - what's the problem?

I'm aware of the inherent problem (though the problem is exactly the other way around from what you're describing: The fonts are scaling fine, the design elements aren't.

I actually thought about this a lot when making this design, because I think this is a bad way to work - I agree perfectly. However, the only way around it really is to work without any images, becauase those will never scale this way. Unfortunately, TGOD does use four or five images in the design (and I'm not talking about the logo here). If we could get rid of those - fine.

What made me decide still to do it this way in the end was that there is widespread browser support for zooming sites (not just fonts) as a whole these days. Opera has had it for many years, Firefox got that feature in one of the last versions, too. That function works just fine on the site - all elements are scaled appropriately, everything still fits and it looks good (because it zooms images as well).

I know this is not really a solution I'm offering, but it's a workaround which should work for you.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:18 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 07:36 on July 17th, 2009:
You should be able to edit the title of the thread, actually - what's the problem?

The board said I didn't have permission at first. But now I can edit the post, but there's no title field to edit.

Quote:

I'm aware of the inherent problem (though the problem is exactly the other way around from what you're describing: The fonts are scaling fine, the design elements aren't.

Indeed. Usually it's a problem with using static font for me, but in this case its the elements.

Quote:

What made me decide still to do it this way in the end was that there is widespread browser support for zooming sites (not just fonts) as a whole these days. Opera has had it for many years, Firefox got that feature in one of the last versions, too. That function works just fine on the site - all elements are scaled appropriately, everything still fits and it looks good (because it zooms images as well).

I recently upgraded to Firefox 3.5 due to its support for full zooming, but it does not work with your site. It solves the problem with a lot of other sites though. If you could extend some of the borders a bit, make them variable, it would probably make things more organized looking from the font size I'm using. Of course what is a border and what is a graphic is another matter.

Though my site is technically backwards in many ways, one thing I intentionally implemented was support for any font size, and support for lower resolutions.
-----
-----
Edited by Gargantuan Orangutan at 14:24 on July 17th, 2009
Posted at 14:31 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Gargantuan Orangutan at 14:18 on July 17th, 2009:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 07:36 on July 17th, 2009:

The board said I didn't have permission at first. But now I can edit the post, but there's no title field to edit.

The function to edit the topic's title is located at the bottom left of the screen.

Originally posted by Gargantuan Orangutan at 14:18 on July 17th, 2009:
Quote:

I recently upgraded to Firefox 3.5 due to its support for full zooming, but it does not work with your site.

Uh... it works like a charm in the older version I have installed :confused:
-----
Posted at 14:32 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Browsers have had the ability to zoom fonts AND images for many years now, it's just that up until recently most browsers required you to zoom both seperately (usually ctrl+"+" or "-" zooms in/out on the text & alt+"+" or "-" zooms in or out on the images. Mozilla based browsers like firefox & seamonkey have also had the option to use shit, ctrl, or alt+scroll wheel to zoom in/out on text or images (you can choose which hotkey does what in the prefs) ).

It's generally a bad idea to set a minimum font size in your browser though, it'll screw up 99% of sites out there. If you have poor eyesight, you're much better off either changing the DPI of your display, or lowering your resolution. This will enlarge everything on your display & keep it all in-scale with itself.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 15:01 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
I've already changed my DPI, and know about zooming in Firefox. And it's not 99% of sites, it's only about 10% of sites that are adversely affected for me at this point. It all has to do with how the site is coded and laid out, because it can be changed to be more accessible if the webmaster is willing.

For resolution I use 1280 x 1024 as that is the native resolution of my LCD, and I've grown quite accustomed to it. A lower resolution does not look so great and clutters up the screen.

In the old days font size was never a problem. It wasn't until the WWW, and sometime after that everyone decided it would be cool to use the smallest fonts possible. So if you can see them, that makes you cool!
-----
-----
Edited by Gargantuan Orangutan at 15:02 on July 17th, 2009
Posted at 15:18 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Oh, and BTW... increasing DPI too high screws up a lot of programs, so you can only go so far with that before stuff vanishes off your screen.
-----
Posted at 15:20 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Gargantuan Orangutan at 15:01 on July 17th, 2009:
In the old days font size was never a problem. It wasn't until the WWW, and sometime after that everyone decided it would be cool to use the smallest fonts possible. So if you can see them, that makes you cool!

I agree with these sentiments, however, I don't believe TGOD is a serious offender there. The fonts, as they are by default, are sized above average (using the rest of the WWW I know as comparison). The site mostly zooms in and out fine. That is because there is virtually no 'design' on the site, just layout. Layout, however, can be turned off globally, too, by simply disabling CSS. On the other hand, I believe the layout is a good thing, because it makes things easier to find by using more or less logical and smart placement of elements.

I do acknowledge my failure to make it completely accessable, though. I'm not completely happy with it, either.
-----
Posted at 15:30 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
It just ran some tests, and it appears my DPI setting, not my minimum font size is what is making your site look out of whack. But I can't lower my DPI anymore or it will affect too many other programs adversely.
-----
-----
Edited by Gargantuan Orangutan at 15:30 on July 17th, 2009
Posted at 15:34 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
A work around is to change the minimum font size to 16, and then zoom in where I need to be (fortunately the new Firefox 3.5 keeps your settings for each site). But it's annoying, because it forces me to zoom in on every new site to read it properly.

It's always a constant joggling act. Welcome to the world of the blind.
-----
-----
Edited by Gargantuan Orangutan at 15:35 on July 17th, 2009
Posted at 15:37 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
In the end, HTML is technology which is interpreted client-side. The only way to have everything positioned completely alright is to put everything (including text) into images. And I doubt anyone wants that ;)

I'm sorry, but I can't do anything about this in a 'hotfix' sort of way. There are too many dependencies. I'll definitely keep this in mind for the site's next design, though.
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 15:37 on July 17th, 2009
Posted at 17:12 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
A work around is to change the minimum font size to 16, and then zoom in where I need to be

Having you tried reversing that? Set the min font to 18 or more & zoom OUT on certain sites? Might work better that way.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 17:19 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Yeah, that's the first thing I try. That doesn't work on the main site pages.
-----
-----
Edited by Gargantuan Orangutan at 17:19 on July 17th, 2009
Posted at 17:27 on July 17th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
I had a similar problem on some sites. But after I bought a new and bigger monitor everything is fine right now. ;)
Posted at 07:18 on July 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Had to go back to 18pt, it's just a pain to have to adjust everything all the time for every page.

I don't really use the www.goodolddays.net main pages due to this issue. For many sites, I can still navigate even with everything crammed together. But your particular layout is impossible to navigate without changing the font size.

What size is your monitor T-Pow?
-----
-----
Edited by Gargantuan Orangutan at 07:19 on July 19th, 2009
Posted at 07:25 on July 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
BTW, past incarnations of the goodolddays did not have this problem.

For Example:

Both versions look perfect in my browser.
-----
-----
Edited by Gargantuan Orangutan at 07:26 on July 19th, 2009
Posted at 10:04 on July 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
But those two are both the default font size, not made larger - that would work just fine with the current site.

And as I said before: What is stopping you from just turning off CSS for the site?
-----
-----
Edited by Mr Creosote at 11:11 on July 19th, 2009
Posted at 11:32 on July 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Quote:
What size is your monitor T-Pow?

At the moment I'm using an 22" Widescreen Display with pivot function. That's a very nice feature for surfing or writing a text.
Posted at 14:23 on July 19th, 2009 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Master Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 10:04 on July 19th, 2009:
But those two are both the default font size, not made larger - that would work just fine with the current site.

And as I said before: What is stopping you from just turning off CSS for the site?

Ha. You obviously have not tried to use your site without styles, because no meaningful output comes forth when you use your search.
-----
» Multiple Pages: 123
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll