The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Some technical questions & suggestions
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Some technical questions & suggestions

Posted at 01:10 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Ok, guys, i've been longing to do this, but couldn't really get myself to proceed. Finally, the time has come!

First, is it a matter of principle that there is no paging letter-wise in the disk section? Seriously, that kinda hurts my feelings. Or is it simply difficult to implement? That i would still understand, but that doesn't change the fact it's pain in the ass to navigate this way.

Secondly, it's also a little inconvenient that some games go along with "The" article and some don't, which, obviously, places them in different parts of the list. I was actually quite surprised to see that, as traditionally everyone moves them articles to the end of the names to exclude their priority in the alphabetic order, but you guys left it as is... strange. I repeat, these things complicate the navigation dramatically, and it's best to do something about it, if any possible.

Thirdly. Why is there no forum search feature? I mean, sure, i can look up the posts via user profile, but i may be looking for something specific and it would take me forever to find it. Similarly, it could be done for the disk section as well, if solving the paging issue isn't possible.

And last, but not the least: is it possible that you could add one more color scheme to the site? I'm not the complaining type, but, quite honestly, it does seem to be a just a tiny bit dark, so if anything i'd rather use a brighter color scheme. Like light-bluish or something. It could be done via user profile settings just perfectly. Of course, it's not something i couldn't possibly do without, but if my opinion is any legit, then this is what the dude suggests.

Some of this may have been inquired before, i don't know that, but repeating won't hurt a bit, i suppose. In fact, it could serve well as a natural public opinion poll :)
-----
Cheer up! Remember the less you have, the more there is to get.
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 01:16 on June 21st, 2015
Posted at 07:19 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 01:10 on June 21st, 2015:
First, is it a matter of principle that there is no paging letter-wise in the disk section?

No, no principle. As on the main games list, it's a matter of deciding how to implement it. I.e. whether to do it as pagination (i.e. you would just jump to page 20 of all games when clicking "M", for example) or to reduce the list to just the entries starting with "M".

Quote:
Secondly, it's also a little inconvenient that some games go along with "The" article and some don't, which, obviously, places them in different parts of the list. I was actually quite surprised to see that, as traditionally everyone moves them articles to the end of the names to exclude their priority in the alphabetic order, but you guys left it as is... strange.

This has indeed been discussed at length about… 13 years ago. There were some very vocal regulars back then strongly opposing the "Blah Blah, The" format. One even calling it one of his "pet hates" and saying "if 'The Blah Blah' is the title, then it is the title". Might be time for a re-discussion, admittedly. My suggestion these days would be to sort them according to the word following the article, but still display them with the article in front.

Quote:
Thirdly. Why is there no forum search feature?

Huh? That is right there in the forum's top menu…

Quote:
Similarly, it could be done for the disk section as well, if solving the paging issue isn't possible.

You mean a floppy images specific keyword search? Technically not hard to implement, but possibly confusing as far as distinguishing it from the other keyword search goes. And here, as a matter of principle, I would not like to combine this into one search.

Quote:
And last, but not the least: is it possible that you could add one more color scheme to the site?

Very simple if somebody takes the time to create one. Though if you'd like to go about it, please let me know in advance so that I can split the stylesheet into two: one just containing the colours to keep things manageable.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 08:10 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
No, no principle. As on the main games list, it's a matter of deciding how to implement it. I.e. whether to do it as pagination (i.e. you would just jump to page 20 of all games when clicking "M", for example) or to reduce the list to just the entries starting with "M".

Well, i don't personally care how exactly it looks, although i'm used to just paging my way to stuff needed. Also, you can go back any time, and i'm not sure how the second version would work. I have to see it. Either way, anything is better than just numbers, that thing is killing me. Even one huge list with no pages at all is better than that :)

Quote:
My suggestion these days would be to sort them according to the word following the article, but still display them with the article in front.

Um.. i'm not sure that's a good idea, cause you may be searching for something close as to letter set and articles get in the way and distract... oh well, as in the previous case, still better than the way it is now.

Quote:
Huh? That is right there in the forum's top menu…

Oops.. sorry. Thing is, i'm used to open search bars, and frankly, i never paid attention to those buttons. I kinda saw them, but never registered properly. Thanks.

Quote:
You mean a floppy images specific keyword search? Technically not hard to implement, but possibly confusing as far as distinguishing it from the other keyword search goes. And here, as a matter of principle, I would not like to combine this into one search.

Well, you can make a separate one, and the one working in the disk section as you enter it, while the one on top would only be used to look for game reviews.

Quote:
Though if you'd like to go about it, please let me know in advance so that I can split the stylesheet into two: one just containing the colours to keep things manageable.

Not exactly sure what you mean...just containing the colours?
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 08:11 on June 21st, 2015
Posted at 08:28 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 08:10 on June 21st, 2015:
Quote:

Well, i don't personally care how exactly it looks, although i'm used to just paging my way to stuff needed. Also, you can go back any time, and i'm not sure how the second version would work. I have to see it. Either way, anything is better than just numbers, that thing is killing me. Even one huge list with no pages at all is better than that :)

But, quite honestly, this is the sort of thing which is preventing things from happening. One person is "used to do things this way", another person does it another way. What I tried to do in this incarnation of the site is to have a navigation concept which is clean and consistent throughout all the corners of it. If we add a notion like a letter-based pagination, then this concept needs to blend in with existing navigation elements and work in a consistent (i.e. equivalent) way as other, comparable navigation elements. It also needs to work on different sorts of lists. (game review list, game review list in the alternate style, floppy images, applications…). So I need you to follow this through: Please see this discussion – what's happening on the linked site is "option 2" (which I don't like). "Option 1" would make more sense, but it's heavier programming and run-time wise.

Quote:
Quote:
My suggestion these days would be to sort them according to the word following the article, but still display them with the article in front.

Um.. i'm not sure that's a good idea, cause you may be searching for something close as to letter set and articles get in the way and distract... oh well, as in the previous case, still better than the way it is now.

Yes, but same thing: Why put an article at the end? It's part of the name, isn't it?

Quote:
Quote:

Well, you can make a separate one, and the one working in the disk section as you enter it, while the one on top would only be used to look for game reviews.

I can, it's done in 30 seconds technically. But same thing as above, it needs to make sense from the perspective of a first-time user. There is a logical place to put it, and that is the sub-pages menu (floating on the right hand side) when on a floppy images page. However, this is also where a full game entry keyword search is located when browsing that section. So do you really believe that this contextual change of the (visually) same element would make sense to people?

Quote:
Quote:
Though if you'd like to go about it, please let me know in advance so that I can split the stylesheet into two: one just containing the colours to keep things manageable.

Not exactly sure what you mean...just containing the colours?

The complete markup of the site is located in a stylesheet. That is colours, but also placement of elements, sizes, margins etc. If you just want to be able to create another colour scheme, it would not make sense to throw a huge stylesheet containing all of that at you. It would even make things less manageable, because if something else (let's say font size) should be changed, it would have to be done in more than one file in the future. Bad idea. So to avoid this, the proper way to go would be to simply have all markup which is colour related in one file and all other markup in another one. I've just done the exercise, it's all ready if you want it.
-----
Posted at 08:51 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Please see this discussion – what's happening on the linked site is "option 2" (which I don't like). "Option 1" would make more sense, but it's heavier programming and run-time wise.

Ok, i see. Then i have no more questions. I guess just leave it the way it is.

Quote:
Yes, but same thing: Why put an article at the end? It's part of the name, isn't it?

Not always as you know. Sometimes people just omit it when spoken of. Also, if you leave "The" there will be too many games beginning with that, and a lot of those which have no "The". Then you could split it in 2 categories, titles with "The" and those without it. But what i'm really trying say here... just forget it :)

Quote:
So do you really believe that this contextual change of the (visually) same element would make sense to people?

Yes, as long as they have understood the rest of it, cause frankly, the first time i came here i was pretty confused, but then i got the hang of it. So, trust me, one more search bar wouldn't hurt anyone any more than it already has ;) However, what i'm really thinking now is that you should forget it and rather make a separate file of all the floppy images from the disk section and attach it somewhere for optional download. I don't ask for more than that, cause i may have to compare what i got with that which is on the list, and i have to go back and forth and memorize the numbers of the pages etc. I just don't feel like doing that. Unless of course you leave me with no other choice ;)

Quote:
So to avoid this, the proper way to go would be to simply have all markup which is colour related in one file and all other markup in another one. I've just done the exercise, it's all ready if you want it.

I still don't understand what you mean. Is it something i have to launch on my side or are you about to do something yourself? And yes, i do know what CSS is, as a matter of fact, and i understand that you want to create a separate one, but you make it all sound like there's more to it than just that :) Sure man, bring it on.. whatever it is you're about to do.
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 08:52 on June 21st, 2015
Posted at 09:14 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 08:51 on June 21st, 2015:
Quote:
So to avoid this, the proper way to go would be to simply have all markup which is colour related in one file and all other markup in another one. I've just done the exercise, it's all ready if you want it.

I still don't understand what you mean. Is it something i have to launch on my side or are you about to do something yourself? And yes, i do know what CSS is, as a matter of fact, and i understand that you want to create a separate one, but you make it all sound like there's more to it than just that :) Sure man, bring it on.. whatever it is you're about to do.

My question is: Do you just want to change colours or also rearrange everything else?
-----
Posted at 09:16 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
My question is: Do you just want to change colours or also rearrange everything else?

Only the colours of course! I never said anything about fonts and layout :) Just a brighter palette, that's all..
-----
Posted at 09:23 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Originally posted by Moebius at 09:16 on June 21st, 2015:
Quote:

Only the colours of course! I never said anything about fonts and layout :) Just a brighter palette, that's all..

I sent you an e-mail for that. Will reply for the other points later.
-----
Posted at 09:26 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Surething. Thanks.
-----
Posted at 12:48 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Similarly, it could be done for the disk section as well, if solving the paging issue isn't possible.

This is done.
-----
Posted at 13:49 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
First, is it a matter of principle that there is no paging letter-wise in the disk section?

Done for both the disk images and the main games list. Please confirms if this meets your expectations.
-----
Posted at 14:17 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Quote:
Done for both the disk images and the main games list. Please confirms if this meets your expectations.

Awesome! Exactly what i need, only 1 more thing: do you think it would be bad if there was no pagination at all when browsing letter-wise? What i mean is, all the games of related letter could simply fill one page without running into limit. I understand the purpose of it though, it simply isn't cool when the list is too long, but something tells me it won't ever be THAT long... but anyway, you've already done more than i expected and i'm fairly satisfied with the present layout, the rest you may easily ignore :)
-----
-----
Edited by Vagabond at 14:23 on June 21st, 2015
Posted at 14:27 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Don't think so unless the way of listing things is fundamentally re-thought from the ground up. I don't want to give the initial letter much more importance than any other criterion.
-----
Posted at 14:45 on June 21st, 2015 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Zombie Gumby
Originally posted by Mr Creosote at 14:27 on June 21st, 2015:
Don't think so unless the way of listing things is fundamentally re-thought from the ground up. I don't want to give the initial letter much more importance than any other criterion.

Then the major problem is solved and we can move on now. I'll be working on the colours meanwhile, but i may as well change my mind, so we'll see :)
-----
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll