The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Vox Pops - What form of government do you think is more likely to succeed? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: sA5dm
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 12:24 on May 13th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Let's not forget

President Clinton

;)
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 06:15 on May 12th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
The biggest oxymorons to date:

Military Intelligence.
Democratic Leadership.
-----
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation
Posted at 15:29 on May 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Eagle of Fire at 04:29 on May, 2nd 2003:

All what you said either doesn't make sense to me or would need several decenies to succeed...

If you really want to understand the issue, you should read 'The Republican Option In Canada: Past and Present' by David E. Smith.

That looks into into the issue very deeply and unless you have a pretty serious interest in politics, you probably wont find it interesting at all.
Posted at 12:54 on May 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Sigh... poor humanity :worried: What is so hard to understand about the simple result of one head of state being gone being another replacing it?

Edited by Mr Creosote at 20:55 on May, 02nd 2003
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 12:46 on May 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Dr Gumby
Neither do I.
-----
Mock ugly people. Praise ugly goats.
Posted at 09:06 on May 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Alright: every other member but sterge10 ;)
-----
Posted at 04:05 on May 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Mr Creosote at 08:46 on May, 2nd 2003:

Strange that every other member can easily follow fretz' train of thought then.

I don't :S
-----
Not all That Glitters Is Gold, Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost.
Posted at 00:46 on May 2nd, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Strange that every other member can easily follow fretz' train of thought then.
-----
Posted at 20:29 on May 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted at 21:36 on May, 1st 2003 by fretz
Does that make more sense?

Not at all. All what you said either doesn't make sense to me or would need several decenies to succeed...
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
Posted at 14:08 on May 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Mr Creosote may disagree there because the German system is differant but the chances are, it would favour the american system
Oh, I never said it is unlikely to be modelled after the US-system of time-limited dictatorship, I just said it doesn't automatically have to be...
-----
Posted at 13:36 on May 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Eagle of Fire at 18:23 on May, 1st 2003:

I have absolutly no idea of what you are talking about?

Try to imagine America without a president, that is basically the system of government that Canada (and Britain) have at the moment, because our equavalent of the president, the Queen, has no power.

If you get rid of the queen, that space will be filled by a president, and the president will most likely gain a lot of power in the new constitution (Mr Creosote may disagree there because the German system is differant but the chances are, it would favour the american system).

If the president has gained power where the queen had none, then there will be a shift in power from the commons holding all the power to the power being split equally between the commons, the senate and the president. The balence of power will shift, and thats why the poloticians of the day will not force the issue of getting rid of her because it will be counter-productive to their own political goals.

Does that make more sense?
Posted at 10:23 on May 1st, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted at 20:12 on April, 30th 2003 by fretz
If Canada was to drop the monarchy a far more American style of republican government would be installed immediately. That would effectively lead to less power for the polititians because the 'electected head of state' would claim rights to an infinitely greater amount of power and influence than the Queen has(which is virtually zero).

This would lesson the power of the political parties immeasurably and turn Canada into a country where the elections are nothing more than a competition to see who can afford the most adverts on TV and have High Court Judges picking the people in charge.

As far as I am concerned, the Federal already have full power, but gave most of those powers to the provinces. I always been told in school that we are a democratic nation, so I am in the obligation to say this:

I have absolutly no idea of what you are talking about?
-----
Posted at 12:52 on April 30th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I might have seen him on BBC giving an antiwar speech recently or something?
Could be. If he talked like the pope, it was him ;)

Quote:
Is Gerhard Schröder top boy in German politics? It seems strange to me having the chancellor as the man in charge.
Schröder is the chancellor, i.e. the head of the government. That makes him the most important figure in politics here, but he's now the head of the state. There are several people 'above' him in the official 'ranking', for example the president and the president of the parliament. This isn't only playing with titles though: no politician in Germany has a similar amount of centralised power as the British Prime Minister or the US-president.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 21:10 on April, 30th 2003
-----
Posted at 12:46 on April 30th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
That name rings a bell for some reason, but I cant put a face to him. I might have seen him on BBC giving an antiwar speech recently or something?

Is Gerhard Schröder top boy in German politics? It seems strange to me having the chancellor as the man in charge.
Posted at 12:38 on April 30th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
We have one here in Germany. At the moment, our president is some guy called Johannes Rau which you will certainly have never heard of. Guess why ;) He's basically just a representative to whom it is specifically forbidden to mess with daily politics.
-----
Posted at 12:35 on April 30th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Is it feasable to have an elected head of state that carries no power?
Posted at 12:26 on April 30th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
That would effectively lead to less power for the polititians because the 'electected head of state' would claim rights to an infinitely greater amount of power and influence than the Queen has
Why do you consider that an automatism?
-----
Posted at 12:12 on April 30th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Quote:
Posted by Eagle of Fire at 23:47 on April, 29th 2003:

In your dreams. Perhaps it's like that "officially" on paper, but if the queen would come knocking on my door you can bet I would not care the slightlest bit.

I don't know anybody here that beleive that "allegiance" is true. I bet most of us doesn't even know about it.

I doubt people of over a certain age will 'not even know about it' as you put there Eagle but I fully agree when you say you couldnt care less about her.

The reason Canada still has a British Monarch, (amazingly despite a quarter of the population speaking French with an (until recently) strong seperatist movement), is not because they have a love for all things British, nor because they(except Parti Quebecois followers) have a hatred for all things French, its because the feeling of discontent towards America is greater than their desire to ditch the Queen.

If Canada was to drop the monarchy a far more American style of republican government would be installed immediately. That would effectively lead to less power for the polititians because the 'electected head of state' would claim rights to an infinitely greater amount of power and influence than the Queen has(which is virtually zero).

This would lesson the power of the political parties immeasurably and turn Canada into a country where the elections are nothing more than a competition to see who can afford the most adverts on TV and have High Court Judges picking the people in charge.

So, will any of the political parties ever call a referendum on the issue like Australia recently did? (and voted to keep it incedently).... Not likely!, they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Rather than just dismiss the issue you should really consider what the alternatives are. Personally I couldnt care less about the Royals either, they are nothing more than a source of amusement to me with their inbred antics splashed all over the newspapers every day, but would I want to get rid of them?? No chance! The alternative almost brings me out in a cold sweat!
Posted at 15:47 on April 29th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
In your dreams. Perhaps it's like that "officially" on paper, but if the queen would come knocking on my door you can bet I would not care the slightlest bit.

I don't know anybody here that beleive that "allegiance" is true. I bet most of us doesn't even know about it.
-----
Posted at 06:45 on April 29th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I thought you had the British Queen as your monarch, Eagle :confused:. And even a governor...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-