The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Noctropolis link won't work? - Reply

Username:
Not Authentication Code (blank):
Password:
Guest Password: hyQG4
Mail Notification?Yes
No

Last 20 Posts (View All)

Posted at 12:45 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
It works :D thank you sooo much
Posted at 08:33 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Port changed - try again.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 07:31 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Ah thanks a lot :) I'll try in an hour or so then. I really appreciate your help.
Posted at 07:27 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
No, I have to reboot the server for the change to take effect, but I won't do that as long as there are downloads active. So now I'm waiting for them to finish, and then I'll activate the new port. Please just be patient, it might take an hour or so.
-----
Posted at 07:24 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
You changed the port to 4321 right ? I'm getting the same error but with 4321 at the end now

The operation timed out when attempting to contact creosote.no-ip.org:4321

I'm getting his error immediately though (well, one sec after I click the button) while the old error took 15 secs or so to come up.

You don't have to change it for me anymore though, you tried to help me enough. I'll just have to accept that I won't be playing it any time soon. Thanks anyway though
Posted at 07:05 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Awww that's really nice of you :)
Posted at 07:03 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ok, I see. I might change the default port to something else then. Will do it later today and then post here again.
-----
Posted at 06:59 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I just contacted my ISP and was told that the ports 135, 137, 445 and 4444 are closed because of certain internet Worms that make use of this :(
Posted at 06:58 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
I've never had any issues downloading other files
Not an argument since I doubt you've ever downloaded a file through port 4444 before.

Quote:
I don't have any filtering software
Sorry to pry like this, but are you perfectly sure you don't even have something like the Windows XP - internal firewall or some kind of 'Norton' program running?

Quote:
Is there a direct link to the file I could try ?
It doesn't get any more direct than this, because creosote.no-ip.org is the direct link to the host.
-----
Posted at 06:53 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Weird, I've never had any issues downloading other files, and I don't have any filtering software. Is there a direct link to the file I could try ?
Posted at 06:24 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Well, that's strange. The only reason I can think of is that you have some sort of filtering software active which blocks connections to port 4444. If you do - disable it.

Edited by Mr Creosote at 14:25 on February, 21st 2005
-----
Posted at 06:24 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
--- EDIT: the error I get is this:
The operation timed out when attempting to contact creosote.no-ip.org
Posted at 06:21 on February 21st, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Well I've been trying to download it spread accross two weeks and I never use download accelerators. It just always times out. Weird. It's a game I've been looking for for over a decade and never managed to find in any store :S
Posted at 14:47 on February 9th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
In theory, yes, but there wasn't. People using 'download accelerators' aren't blocked, but only every connection attempt after the first one is (so their client can still download one chunk at a time). Download slots have been available constantly for at least two weeks, and there weren't any downtimes (not even a second) for even longer.

Quote:
I have no desire to dl 200+ megs at 56k
Wimp :P
-----
Posted at 14:33 on February 9th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Quote:
Since the file you're requesting for download is very big, it is stored off-site. This server only allows one connection per user (so no 'download accelerators') and four downloads at the same time on the whole. Whining about that, the speed or about being cut off in the middle of the download will not help. It can also be offline from time to time. Any complaining and bitching about this will only result in the decision to offer these files at all being rethought.

Based on that, it's quite possible that Red Avatar tried using an accelerator and was blocked, or that there was a temporary problem at the time he downloaded. I just attempted to download both the english and german versions, and each began without problems (I cancelled as soon as they appeared to work, I have no desire to dl 200+ megs at 56k :- ).
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 10:26 on February 9th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
It must be a problem on your side. If it persists, please be more specific with your description of the error you get in what situation, because otherwise, we won't be able to help.
-----
Posted at 00:05 on February 9th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
Seems fine here... didn't download the whole thing of course but download started at decent speed.
-----
"One Very Important Thought"
Posted at 19:44 on February 8th, 2005 | Quote | Edit | Delete
I tried the link to Noctropolis a dozen times but always get a time out error ?