The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Site Issues - Poll Results: Which systems are you interested in?
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Poll Results: Which systems are you interested in?

Posted at 13:42 on April 15th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
First, the straight results. As expected, the juggernaut is the system 95% of the visitors are using right now. That number (less than 70%) is actually fairly low considering the 95%.

What's interesting in addition is the 'Other' number which is slightly above 10%. That tells me that we're already doing a good job covering the most important things. You have to take into account here that just adding one more system wouldn't necessarily decrease the number of people who voted for 'Other', because they might still have yet more systems on their minds.

(comments split into two posts to have two attachments)
Attachment: *****
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 14:40 on April 15th, 2008 | Quote | Edit | Delete | Delete Attachment
Admin
Reborn Gumby
I already touched on the self-fulfilling prophecy factor when presenting the previous poll results.

Speaking in non-mathematical terms, the more something is already covered on the site, the more people interested in that visit, and thus they're here to vote.

I tried to put this phenomenon in mathematical terms. The first idea would be a linear weighting, but that's not really close to reality. That is why I assumed an exponential function. Meaning: Small number of games only have very little pull, large numbers very strong pull. In order to distort the values not too much, I only used a small part of the curve, i.e. values between 0 and 1.

Applying this to the number of votes (note the lack of number on the vertical scale), the amount of interest moves together more closely. Of course, due to the only small weighting factor, high stays high and low stays low.

However, the huge PC peak goes down quite a bit. SNES catches up with Amiga and NES overtakes the C64. Seeing these movements, consoles seem to be more popular than computers in a way.
Attachment: *****
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll