The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Software Galore - Child's Play
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Child's Play

Posted at 09:19 on October 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Here's and interesting article about what happens when you give children some classic games to play. Quite depressing, actually...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 10:40 on October 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
First of all, this is obviously faked. Which normal kid would know about E.T. being buried in New Mexico?

Also, even though it is kind of sad to read this, they're taking the idea to the extreme of course. Pong, Space Invaders - these are undoubtly classics, but even none of us would play them much anymore. They're extremely simplistic in their gameplay and graphically really.... abstract.

What'd interest me more is the question how kids would like games like graphical Adventures or strategy games from a period like '85 to '90.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 11:16 on October 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
Actually, the ET story is still a favorite one, to this day.

As for Pong and Space Invaders, I tend to agree. However, the way they approached Mario and Tetris is simply mind-boggling. Especially when they asked how to explode the bricks or how many of the came color group together...
-----
NetDanzr<br />
-The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog-
Posted at 11:26 on October 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Quote:
Actually, the ET story is still a favorite one, to this day.
...which nobody knows about.

Quote:
how many of the came color group together
That's actually the point in which I can read some hope: They might not know the exact way the game works, but they don't actually think the concept is boring. Columns (and whatever else they're all called) are filling that gap exactly.
-----
Posted at 12:25 on October 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
From Tetris:

Quote:
Tim: Which button do I press to make the blocks explode?

Yeah, okay, like there are kids that don't know what tetris is. This is horrible.
-----
Keep your stick on the ice
Posted at 13:09 on October 16th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
An addition to this. My cousin is 7, 8 or probably 9 (not really sure). He doesn't own any gaming system, but he certainly has played with one of one of his friends. He also likes the 'games' on the Lego website.

Whenever he comes to visit my mother (his aunt), she installs a few games for him on her PC. One of those is "Daisy's Garden". That's a very basic 2D Jump'n'Run with very little action (very slow speed, hardly any enemies) which also includes a few basic puzzle elements (like finding the right way, using switches). The graphics are quite bad, usual shareware/freeware quality for the early 90s. To sum it up: I certainly wouldn't play this game.

Still, he sometimes sat in front of the monitor eyes wide open in full concentration. He would probably have played several hours straight if he hadn't been snapped out of it.

So anyway. There are certainly spoiled brats who can't appreciate a good classic game. When they're together in a group, the probability of liking something 'uncool' of course drops drastically, too. So don't draw too many conclusions from this article.
-----
Posted at 15:50 on October 18th, 2003 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Prof Gumby
This article is pretty funny... It really looks like what a young boy or girl would say about the first games that got around. C'mon, they where great when they came out, but would you seriously play them as much today? Sorry, but I have better things to do before that. :)
-----
I am on a hot streak... Litterally.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll