The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Life, The Universe and Everything - Comments / Discussion - Island of the Lizard King (1984)
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Island of the Lizard King (1984)

Posted at 09:00 on August 5th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Feel free to share anything about Island of the Lizard King here!
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 09:31 on August 5th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Thanks for the suggestion! Found a used German edition in good condition.

Posted on Mastodon
-----
Edited by Bernd Kilga at 09:38 on August 5th, 2023
Posted at 09:33 on August 5th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Enjoy! (Please don't blame me if it turns out not so good :P)

Posted on Mastodon
-----
Posted at 09:36 on August 5th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
The judgement of my child will be merciless!You'll either get a "Good.” or a “Can I go and play something?” rating. (I have to test it first to see if it is age-appropriate for her. She's fearless regarding monsters but doesn't like any type of lying in books. Freaks her out.)

Posted on Mastodon
Posted at 09:43 on August 5th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
Ah, for your daughter! Mine previously saw me playing the second book, The Citadel of Chaos, and asked to join. She was super excited, but finally, it was a bit gruesome for her. I censored some parts on the fly (i.e. invented alternative text), such as for example encountering the ghosts of a woman her kids who have been violently murdered and are now out for revenge on humanity. Overall, that book was also too hard for her, which indeed could be better with Lizard King.

Posted on Mastodon
-----
Posted at 09:49 on August 5th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
And, well, keep in mind that Lizard King opens with the protagonist's best friend either being killed by pirates or his body snapped in half by a giant crab...

Posted on Mastodon
-----
Posted at 09:49 on August 5th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Thank you for sharing your experience! I am used to some real time censorship because we are way above the typical age rating of books.My goal isn't to finish the book with her. I'm primarily looking for a way to introduce her to actual P&P roleplaying. A keen interest in making decisions is key to this hobby.

Posted on Mastodon
Posted at 09:55 on August 5th, 2023 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Thanks! I'll partially read first anyways. Some books are written in a way that won't work for her, regardless of violence. E.g. she can't get past the first few pages of the Hobbit. It bores her to death.

Posted on Mastodon
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll