The Spam Club

» The Spam Club - Frozen Website Sections - Comics - Spawn
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll

Spawn

Posted at 12:06 on June 22nd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Bachelor Gumby
Hey, does anybody read Spawn? It's just about my favorite comic, but somehow i can't find any new publications. The original author left the scene and was replaced by a new one (after the original story ended), but that only held up for a short time. Now i can't find them anywhere (well at least not in my comic shops here in Germany :( ). I was wondering whether the series was canceled, but i can't find any information on that ever happening. Actually i would be kinda happy if it was canceled, since the newer comics kind of sucked (the new artist is alright, but since the original story ended it got very repetitive!).

Well if you know something which i don't, gimme a kick! You can also just talk about the comic itself if you want to, would be happy to see other Spawn geeks ranting about! :D
-----
daddy was just a girl in disguise...
Posted at 17:08 on June 22nd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Admin
Reborn Gumby
As far as I can see, the German issues of Spawn are now published by Panini, and according to their homepage, the last issue so far is #74 (US issues #144 - #146). The current US issue is #169, 'in the stores July 2007' - looks pretty current.

In April, the joke announcement that Spawn would die in the next storyline circled around the Internet, later to be revealed to be the obvious: an April's fool joke.

So, I don't see any indications the series was cancelled.

Anyway, I read a few issues some years ago, and I can't say I liked it. It seemed to be the typical 1990s series concentrating on spurting blood, deformed character looks and extreme closeups to signify 'broken' personalities. Since I don't consider this 'cool' (as it's apparantely meant to be), I moved on.
-----
Now you see the violence inherent in the system!
Posted at 13:01 on June 23rd, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
I saw a few when I was a kid, and also saw some of the chapters of the cartoon that was later made, but never attracted me much.

As I grew with my father's comic collection I preffer comics similar to what you could see in the french magazine Metal Hurlant, or the spanish Cimoc, which was one of several edited by Toutain, a comic drawer who decided to improve the situation of comics in the country (everybody had to work for foreign publishers).
Posted at 09:18 on June 24th, 2007 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Retired Gumby
It appears that it's till being published, you may simply have to order it online or something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spawn_%28comics%29
http://www.spawn.com/

I liked the cartoon, thought the movie was ok but used a lot of cheap rubber suit effects, read a little bit of the comics a long time ago, didn't make a major impression one way or another.
-----
At the end of the day, you're left with a bent fork & a pissed off rhino.
Posted at 03:16 on April 12th, 2012 | Quote | Edit | Delete
Baby Gumby
Im a huge fan of spawn, i wish they would collect the later copies into a trade paperback.
ReplyNew TopicNew Poll